Crib Bedding

Kelsey's Crib Bedding

I always sew my kids crib bedding, mostly because it is cheaper and it wastes time when pregnancy seems to last an eternity for me. I have to stay busy or I just loose my mind!

The crib always stays in my room. I am one of those Mothers that panics all night long and checks on her baby several times through out the night.  So having the crib in my room is a lot easier and gives me peace of mind. My bedding is gray so I wanted the crib to somewhat match my bedroom. I knew that I wanted the color gray to somehow be incorporated into the crib bedding. I did not want chevron print though! I dont like to go along with trends and chevron print, especially gray and white chevron is super popular right now.

I made a trip to Joanns and found the perfect fabric! It had a gray background with pink flowers and green leaves! I fell in love with it! Except they only had a few yards of it. I bought it anyway and went online once I got home to see if I could order more there. I found it in stock in a store where my parents live in California so I called my mom and asked her if she could pick it up and mail it to me. I was so relieved to have found enough fabric to make all her bedding plus extras with it!

It took me awhile to figure out exactly how I wanted to use the fabric and if I wanted to play off the pink flowers or the green leaves. I couldnt decide! So i went with both pink and green! Next, I got brave and took on making a four level dust ruffle. It was really time consuming but in the end it came out great and I was thrilled with it!



  






Next I decided to make a custom quilt/wall hanging. I wanted it to be hung right above the crib and I didnt want it to be a standard patchwork quilt with plain squares. I didnt have a pattern so I just cut fabric and pieced it together on the floor. Then I started sewing it together. I added pink rick rack to my green pieces, appliqued on green leaves to the pink pieces with some hand embroidery details, and I made flowers out of felt to add onto the gray pieces. The felt flowers took me a while, I hand cut them out and hand stitched around them and the flower details with a button in the middle. I also appliqued the letter 'K' on it for Kelsey!  




Finished Quilt/Wall Hanging

Close up of details 
ribbon ruffle around the edges










I wanted to incorporate pink in my bedroom to match also so I found this pink basket that I placed diapers in. 




I made a matching pillow for my rocking chair and a nursing cover with the extra fabric also.



The crib bedding up close: 


(I need to add a picture of the Bumper Pads - they have a gray ruffle around the top edge)


No comments:

Post a Comment